Di Van der Walt
Principal Speech Pathologist
Di has a passion for helping all children to be able to communicate and to reach their full potential in reading and spelling.
She believes that communication and literacy are basic human rights and every person has the right to a robust means of communication and good literacy instruction in order to achieve this.
In the words of David Yoder (ISAAC, 2000),
“No person is too anything to be able to read or write.”
Di has extensive experience in most areas of speech pathology for children with and without a disability. She has also gained an ability to continue to work on goals in usual situations – bubbles and bikes in the garden or jumping on the trampoline to sitting at a table or on the floor in a child’s safe zone.
Di is a Certified Practising Speech Pathologist and a Hanen certified Speech Pathologist in the “ABC and Beyond™” program for educators of 3-5-year-old’s, the “It Takes Two to Talk®” and “More than Words®” parent programs. She is also a trained instructor in “Sounds-Write” – a Systematic Sequential Phonics program and Talk for Writing.
Di and her hubby, Andre, have 2 children, Joshua and Caleb. She also has 2 dogs and a cat. They live in Roleystone. Outside of work, Di loves being outdoors with her family.
Charlotte joined the Perth Hills Speech Pathology team in September, 2020 and has already made her mark as a highly respected and experienced clinician.
Charlotte has almost 10 years of experience, in particular in the areas of Autism Spectrum Disorder, expressive and receptive language, speech delays and disorders, stuttering, social communication and AAC.
Charlotte has a passion for learning new skills to meet the needs of her clients and as such will be attending Sounds-Write training in the coming months. Charlotte is a Certified Practicing Speech Pathologist and is Hanen certified in the “More than Words®” and “Talkability®” parent programs and “Learning Language and Loving It®” teacher training. She is trained in PODD and a range of other AAC methods. Her aim is to make speech therapy fun! Goals are always worked into games and meaningful activities that incorporate the child’s strengths and interests.
Charlotte has two young children who love picking and eating strawberries when they are in season.
Are you our next Speech Pathologist? Do you want to join out team in 2021?
Perth Hills Speech Pathology is seeking a part-time (3 days/week with potential to increase and flexible options) Certified Practising Speech Pathologist to provide mobile services to children and adolescents.
About Perth Hills Speech Pathology
- Located in the beautiful Perth Hills and servicing clients in the South-East Metro, Perth Hills Speech Pathology is a growing speech pathology practice.
- Perth Hills Speech Pathology prides itself on providing assessment and intervention using the most up-to-date, evidence-based best practice.
- We are fully equipped with evidence-based, standardised formal assessment tools and therapy resources, and a vast selection of toys and games for all areas of speech, language and literacy.
- Di Van der Walt, the Owner and Principal Speech Pathologist, has over eleven years of experience as a Certified Practising Speech Pathologist. Di is Hanen Certified, PODD, Sounds-Write, Talk for Writing trained, alongside other professional development.
- Di will provide the successful applicants with direct clinical supervision, year-round guidance and mentoring at all stages of employment. Working with Di at Perth Hills Speech Pathology allows the unique opportunity to develop extended clinical knowledge in assessments and therapy, in a wide range of clinical areas and for differing client caseloads. This highly valuable support is integral to the Perth Hills Speech Pathology working environment and extends to all areas of service delivery.
- Please visit www.perthhillsspeech.com for more information about our practice.
- Applicants must be a Certified Practising Speech Pathologist (CPSP) registered with Speech Pathology Australia (SPA), and committed to continued professional development and ongoing participation in SPA’s professional self-regulation programme.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Speech Pathology is required. Speech Pathology postgraduates are encouraged to apply.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience as a practicing Speech Pathologist.
- Applicants will be required to use their own vehicle to attend client sessions. This will be financially remunerated.
- Training in Hanen, It Takes Two to Talk ® and Sounds-Write is preferred. We will consider applicants who are willing to undergo training in these programmes as soon as possible.
- Applicants need to be highly motivated and organised, able to work both independently and as part of a team, to a high standard. Working with Perth Hills Speech Pathology requires self-management skills and the ability to organise your own timetable within the framework of consistent support and mentoring we provide.
- Perth Hills Speech Pathology is an enjoyable and supportive working environment. Having a good sense of humour is a plus!
- Most importantly, we value a strong work ethic, high ethical standards, and a commitment to providing the best evidence-based practice to Perth Hills Speech Pathology clients.
General conditions of employment
- Should you be a successful applicant, you will need to apply for a Medicare Provider Number for Perth Hills Speech Pathology. You will also need a Valid police clearance, WA-valid Driver’s Licence and Working with Children Check.
- Referee checks on at least two independent referees will be conducted prior to an offer of employment being made.
To make an application, please send your CV to email@example.com. Feel free to phone Di Van der Walt, Principal Speech Pathologist on 0418 884 765 with any queries.