It Takes Two to Talk®
The Hanen Program for Parents
The Orientation session is designed to provide parents with:
- Information about It Takes Two to Talk® – The Hanen Program for Parents
- Clear expectations about what is involved in the program (e.g., time commitment, home practice, fees)
- Answers to questions about the program
- Information about The Hanen Centre and the Hanen philosophy and approach
- Please note this is a Parent’s Only session (Babes in Arms excepted)
Speech and Language Development: Birth to 5 years
Our Speech Pathologist can provide a workshop to parents, caregivers or educators about typical speech and language development, from Birth to 5 years of
This workshop can be tailor made for your group and may include the following:
- Overview of speech;
- Overview of language;
- Ages and Stages of speech and language development;
- Routines – how to incorporate language growth into the activities that you do everyday;
- Story Time – how to make the most of this special activity;
- Q & A time – both open to the floor and an opportunity for 1:1 conversations.
This workshop provides parents, caregivers or educators with some practical skills of how to make story time more than just reading some words in a book. The workshop covers the following areas:
- Stages of Literacy acquisition;
- How to turn story time into a conversation;
- How to teach your child new words;
- How to develop your child’s ability to understand the story;
- How to teach your child about the print in books;
- How to develop your child’s skill of sound awareness.
Our Speech Pathologist can provide this workshop in 2 ways:
- Information workshop ONLY, where participants are provided with 2.5 hours of information about story time and how to make the most of this special time, to enhance your child’s literacy acquisition.
- Information and Practice workshop, where participants are provided with 45 minutes of information (whilst your child is being cared for in a creche type facility) and then given the opportunity to practice this with their child.